[tex-live] TeX Live 2008: nasty pdf(la)tex bug on Solaris SPARC with ZFS

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Sat Sep 13 17:50:11 CEST 2008

"JK" == Jonathan Kew writes:

 >> as i wrote in another email: just running "pdftex -ini \\relax"
 >> and looking at the process memory usage, i see it uses 6864 Kb of
 >> resident memory (and 73m VIRT) on my linux box.
 >>
 >> but for "xetex -ini \\relax", i see:
 >>
 >> TL2008: 128m RES, 239m VIRT TL2007: 14m RES, 95m VIRT
 >>
 >> why did xetex's memory usage so much increased compared to TL2007?
 >> (14 MB => 128 MB just for inixetex)

 JK> Mainly because of much bigger settings in texmf.cnf, I expect;
 JK> things like main_memory, font_mem_size, max_strings, trie_size,
 JK> etc have been vastly increased.

note that "pdftex -ini", using the same texmf.cnf, still uses less than 7MB
of resident memory, compared to 128 MB used by xetex.

i'd imagine it could be because of unicode initialization for
characters (lccode, uccode, etc). did things change in this area since
2007? i.e. is xetex now using more memory to store unicode character
properties than in 2007?

Best,
v.