[tex-live] tlmgr testing, pretty please

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Fri Sep 12 04:42:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Karl Berry wrote:

> Norbert and I have made more updates to tlmgr.  We want to push this out
> as soon as possible, since (among other things) this version "fixes" on
> a given CTAN mirror for the duration of an update, a la install-tl.
>
> But I'd really like to have other people test it (especially on Windows
> and Mac), to make sure we haven't introduced new bugs.  As I wrote
> before, just grab the current rev of tlmgr.pl from
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf/scripts/texlive/ and put
> it in your tree in that same location, texmf/scripts/texlive.
>
> If you can test the GUI version, also take the new tlmgrgui-real.pl from
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui/.

Starting new stuff from svn (not only texmf/scripts/texlive, as Karl wrote,
but also changed tlpkg/TeXLive/*)

c:\>C:/install-tl: No such file or directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/te
xmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044
C:/install-tl: No such file or directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/
scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044
C:/install-tl: No such file or directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/
scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044
C:/install-tl: No such file or directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/
scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044
C:/install-tl: No such file or directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/
scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044

OK, I moved before my old c:\install-tl to another location, just to
start updating from the network. Changed via location tab to standard mirror,
I got a new database, then selected some packages to update, and:
http://mirror.icis.pcz.pl/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008: No such file o
r directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line
 1044

This mirror is enough fresh, so the problem is that changing location in GUI
via "Change location" tab semms to not work now (?) :(

Then, I changed location to ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008, again got
a new database, but, when trying to update single package:

Cannot read any package from ftp://tug.ctan.org/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/texlive
.tlpdb, seems not to be a TLPDB!ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008: No such file o
r directory at c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line
 1044

OK, I changed the default location in Configuration tab and restarted
tlmgr gui. Again have:
c:\>ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008: No such file or directory at c:/Program Fi
les/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 1044

and

tlmgr --location ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008 update bin-afm2pl
shows "Done", but without success. I checked revision numbers in my local
and remote texlive.tlbdb and nothing has changed.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl