[tex-live] texdoc error

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Sep 11 12:10:59 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I don't consider minimally useful documentation or consistent behavior
>> to be a "Unix methodology".
>
> Nor do I, nor did I suggest any such thing.
>
> I was referring specifically to the use
> of pipes, which are a Unix, not Windows,
> concept.

Sorry Phil, but if you remove everything from Windows that has had its
conceptual origin in Unix, you are not left with anything close to a
working system.  The whole file handling with the open/close/read/write
calls are straight lifted from Unix (the original CP/M handling is no
longer available).  Similar to directory handling.  That Windows botched
up the uptake of those concepts to a degree where they only work under
certain circumstances does not mean that you can make do without them
entirely.

Basically your arguments amount to "please use only things that actually
work".  But there is no documentation or guideline about what is
actually going to work.  And your frequent offering of the opinion that
anybody using any part of Windows that happens to fail to meet its
specifications or reasonable expectations is just an incapable
indoctrinated UNIX idiot is not helpful.

If you don't have any constructive advice to offer for solving the
technical problems people encounter (and it would appear that your
exposure to Windows internals and Windows programming is not on a level
where you actually can offer helpful advice), you might at least try not
to annoy the people all too much who actually still try to do the work
required to provide you with working software on your platform of
choice.

--
David Kastrup