[tex-live] TL: acrotex/acroweb

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 9 08:26:48 CEST 2008

Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Clea,
>
>     acrotex:
>     acroweb;
>
> Ah.  Well, here's another case:
> - these packages depend entirely on acrobat (non-libre) and are not
>   usable with any other pdf reader, to the best of my knowledge.

Isn't the same true for all the Win-32 stuff into
which we are putting so much effort ?  Whilst I
respect your position vis-a-vis so-called "libre"
software (even though I completely disagree with
it), it seems to me that if TeX Live is going to
add "must not depend on non-libre software" to its
already long list of conditions that must be met
before inclusion, then it may as well declare
itself a Unix/Linux/GNU-only distribution and be
done with it.

** Phil.