[tex-live] pax (was: TeXLive Manager (numbers))

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Sep 9 06:17:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:10:02PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

>     Now it's the best time, no time pressure at all (see above).
>
> Now I recall that Reinhard already wrote a Lua wrapper for ppower4.jar,
> so happily enough, it's no problem.
>
>     My suggestion would be "PDFAnnotExtractor" (after the main
>
> I'm not entirely happy with capital letters.  They always cause
> confusion in executable names in my experience.  How about just
> downcasing to "pdfannotextractor"?

Ok.

>    * And I am interested, how to deal with third party dependecies:
>
> I have no intention of dealing with it.  People who actually want to use
> it will have to install PDFBox on their own.  It would be madness to try
> to deal with that in the TL sources.

The .jar file is all pax needs. Additionally the sources must be
available (GPL).

> My only other worry is whether PDFBox and/or PDFAnnotExtractor work with
> icedtea or openjdk (vs. the original Sun Java).  I don't suppose you've
> happened to try that?  My guess is that it's ok, but ...

java version "1.6.0_06"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

java version "1.5.0_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_09-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_09-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

I haven't tried icedtea or openjdk.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>