[tex-live] query about archives

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 8 02:38:30 CEST 2008

    1) presence on CTAN
    2) free licence
    3) non-obsolete
    4) non-experimental or experimental with author's approval

Right.

The only other important criteria that come to mind are:
    5) it doesn't cause significant conflicts.

In other words, if J. Random Package happens to contain a file named, say,
"plain.tex", we aren't going to install it :).  We try to work with the
author to resolve conflicts.  Conflicts can happen in other ways too,
but are surprisingly rare.

Much more common is:
    6) we notice it.

In other words, I'm sure there are many things on CTAN which meet 1-4
and are not in TL simply because Sebastian did not notice them to
incorporate them.  Post-Sebastian, we have never even managed to look at
everything *in TL*, let alone everything on CTAN.

So if there are things on CTAN which meet 1-5 and aren't in TL, report
it here.

    http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/plain/contrib/timetable/timetable.tex

That failed criteria #6 :).  I'll install it at some point.  Looks
rather nice, actually.

    I also wondered which definition of 'free' TL works with.

Short answer: the FSF's.
Long answer: see http://tug.org/texlive/copying.html and its links.

karl