[tex-live] query about archives

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon Sep 8 02:26:16 CEST 2008

This discussion raised a couple of questions for me and I wondered if
somebody could point me in the direction of the relevant documentation,
if any.

What are the criteria for inclusion in TL?

I gather that necessary conditions include:
1) presence on CTAN
2) free licence
3) non-obsolete
4) non-experimental or experimental with author's approval
but these obviously aren't sufficient so I wondered if there was a
policy statement somewhere.

For example,
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/plain/contrib/timetable/timetable.tex
is not in TL. I'm not suggesting it should be. It's just the first
example that comes to mind of a package which meets the four conditions
(I think) but isn't in TL.

Clearly, TL couldn't contain everything which met the four conditions
and I'm not suggesting it should try. I'm only curious about 5, 6, 7...

I also wondered which definition of 'free' TL works with.

Thanks,
cfr