[tex-live] What is it?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:02:40 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
> Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>> Thanks! One of short-coming of TLMGR is that there seem to be no way
>> to get list of new packages (except  something like)
>> %tlmgr list | egrep -v "^i|binary|00|win32|wintools|scheme-"
>>
> Indeed, I think it is something reasonable to add to the wishlist for
> the future of tlmgr (and tlmgr gui). While I do like the Unix philosophy
> of small bricks which can build something together, I also think that in
> general it's best if the developers assemble the bricks for the user. In
> other terms, one should not ask to every one to be able to use grep...

With this it is easy: just put into  tlmgr --help couple of recipes
(sorry for Windows users but I am not the member of PETMU  [People for
Ethical Treatment of Microsoft Users])

%tlmgr list | egrep -v "^i|binary|00|win32|darwin|wintools|scheme-"

> Anyway, and probably other members of the team will agree, it's hard
> even with moths of testing to think to everything and user feedback is
> most welcome for features that would be useful to add (esp. if they are
> not to hard to implement :-) ).

There is a more challenging trick for tlmgr to do: to look to
texmf-local and private user trees
and advise (at this moment I do not see about actions)

* the package <foo> you have in texmf-local is newer/the same/older
than in /2008
* the package <foo>  you have in texmf-local is not in /2008 and
is/(is not) available remotely (again may be with info newer/the
same/older)
* the package foo you have in your user tree is newer/the same/older
than in /2008
* the package foo you have in your user tree is newer/the same/older
than in  texmf-local

Well, since packages in texmf-local and user tree are not installed by
tlmgr, tlmgr could say "seems to be".

Victor