[tex-live] More on multiple minuses

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Sep 5 14:16:08 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>> May we have a texlive-windows mailing list, please? ;-)
>
> Ooh, yes please : a list where there is just
> one standard,

Uh, which one?  Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP professional,
Windows Vista, Windows CE, which version and service pack?

> where everyone does things the Microsoft way,

I am sure you'll be able to find a list without traffic.  The Microsoft
way does not involve TeX.

> where there is none of this nonsense about different libraries, static
> v. dynamic linking,

Uh, we are still talking about Windows here?  Hint: the term "DLL hell"
does not originate on Unix.  And it is not Unix where the operating
system tries plastering back over libraries that some installation
process decided it needed to replace.

[...]

> where TLMGR means the same as "tlmgr", where logic and sanity prevail

I'd say you have quite conflicting requirements.

> and where no-one gives a d at mn whether a package has "the right
> licence" ...

Oh, that kind of sanity.  Can come pretty expensive nowadays.

> Oh joy, oh bliss : YES PLEASE !!!

I would also welcome a separate list where you can fantasize about
Windows superiority all you want to.  The people doing the actual hard
work about making things work on Windows might still prefer to
communicate in a less delusional and more work-focused atmosphere.

--
David Kastrup