[tex-live] ./install-tl fails on PowerPC 64-bit Linux

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 5 01:54:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

    `./install-tl' seems to have a conniption about 64-bit PowerPC Linux,

No one came forward to provide binaries for that platform
(http://tug.org/texlive/build.html) -- just regular 32-bit powerpc-linux
(thanks to Thomas Schmitz).  So, they are not present.  So the error
message is not surprising:

	Can't exec "./tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.powerpc64-linux": No
	such file or directory

If the 32-bit binaries would work (which I suppose they would?), I think
you could run  cp tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.powerpc{64,}-linux
and it could proceed.  You'd have to manually select the ppc-linux
binaries from the menu during the installation.

Perhaps we should figure out a way to forcibly tell the installer what
arch name to use.

karl