[tex-live] tlmgr help formatting

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Oct 29 12:04:58 CET 2008

On Mi, 29 Okt 2008, George N. White III wrote:
> For years I've been making the texlive tree owned by a user who is the TL
> administrator.  tlmgr (together with tools like updmap and fmtutil)
> are not things
> that should ever be run as "root".   I would also not want to have two users

It is not about running it is a root. It is only about write permissions
to TEXMFSYSVAR and TEXMFSYSCONFIG. That is all. That makes the
difference between updmap-sys and updmap.

And yes, it is a good idea to have a designated TL user ...

Best wishes

Norbert

CURRY MALLET (n.)
A large wooden or rubber cub which poachers use to despatch cats or
other game which they can only sell to Indian resturants. For
particulary small cats the price obtainable is not worth the cost of
expending ammunition.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff