[tex-live] minor problems with install-tl

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 29 02:32:03 CET 2008

Norbert Preining writes:
 > On Di, 28 Okt 2008, Rolf Niepraschk wrote:
 > > > Impossible. Downloading is down by wget, so we cannot easily provide a
 > > > statusbar.
 > >
 > > My version of "wget" shows a status bar or something else during a download:
 > >
 > > xx%[===============================================>] ...
 > >
 > > Maybe redirecting this piece of information would be sufficient.
 >
 > Doesn't help. Redirecting means threads for reading/writing, it is plan
 > simply complicated, and will anyway not work under any circumstances on
 > Windows (there we cannot do fork at all in perl).

I'm wondering what we are talking about.  Of course, providing
progress bars for each package is nearly impossible and certainly not
desired.

But isn't it quite helpful if the output of wget isn't suppressed
deliberately when the database is downloaded?   wget provides a status
bar already, no need for threads or other strange things.

 > on Windows (there we cannot do fork at all in perl).

Recent versions of Perl allow you to fork on Windows.  It's emulated
somehow. But it's not very helpful because everything else is broken.
What is fork() good for if exec() doesn't work?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25