[tex-live] texmf.cnf not found

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 28 16:48:13 CET 2008

Jeff Blaine <jblaine at kickflop.net> wrote:

> # Changed dir to /afs/rcf/apps/tex-live
> # Selected i386 linux, sparc solaris, and 64-bit linux
> /afs/rcf/apps/tex-live/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf not found: No such file
> or directory

I ran into that problem installing on sparc solaris.  I worked around it
by tricking install-tl to use /usr/sfw/bin/gtar (GNU tar) instead of
Sun's tar.  First, I symlinked ~/bin/gtar to /usr/sfw/bin/gtar.  Then I
ran install-tl as follows (in bash notation):

  PATH=~/bin:$PATH ./install-tl

I hope that fixes it for you too.

-Sanjoy

`Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always
 glorify the hunters.'  --African Proverb