[tex-live] minor problems with install-tl

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Oct 28 16:31:29 CET 2008

Hi Werner,

On Di, 28 Okt 2008, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> The problem is that the warning messages w.r.t. to Perl-Tk should
> *immediately* appear after starting the script, before doing anything
> else.  IMHO, it's always a good idea to check the prerequisites, then

Ok, but since we continue either way in text mode we have to load the
tlpdb in any case ... right?

I see that point and will try to find a solution for that. It is not
that trivial since the install-tl script can be used for many other
things, too.

> Of course.  You've apparently completely misunderstood what I'm
> complaining about.

Yes, probably. So what you want is that if you ask
	install-tl -gui
and the gui cannot be loaded, then
	1) give a warning message that we drop into text mode
	2) then start loading the tlpdb
this way you could cancel the loading and first reinstall missing
perl-tk, and then restart, without the need to download the tlpdb two
times, the first time completely useless.

Did I got it right this time?

> If I start with -gui, I would like that a windows pops up immediately
> (similar to, say, Emacs), and all future messages are echoed in that
> window.  It would be fully sufficient to have something like this:

Uhhh, maybe, but the messages would scroll by *very* fast.

I will see if I can add a temporary window that pops up that informs
users that the tlpdb is being loaded and that it might take some time.

In tlmgr we have that, but in install-tl I have to see if it fits in.

> IMHO such messages are essential; they should be emitted even if I
> don't activate a debug switch (at least for -gui).

I will try.

Best wishes

Norbert