[tex-live] tlmgr query

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Oct 13 01:05:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

On So, 12 Okt 2008, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:
> The current version doesn't report the packages as missing from TL when
> I ask for a list of updates. Is this correct? I thought that the

Yes.

> current version would be more likely to report the discrepancy and
> might even remove the packages.

Yes, it would have removed the package, but only under very restricted
conditions:
- before the upgrade it is mentioned in a collection you have installed
- the mentioning collection is present on the remote server
- the package is not mentioned in the collection on the server
then it will be removed.

Since you already have upgrade collection-latexextra some time ago
and at that time the package wasn't removed, the test now fails the
first test, it is not mentioned in any collection.

We don't remove these packages because that could be local packages (I
can create my own repository for our department with commercial fonts).
And they should neither be listed with a warning nor removed.

I hope I explained the behaviour. Another, maybe more detailed
explanation can be found in the man page of tlmgr, or
	tlmgr help
(as usual)

Best wishes

Norbert