[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Oct 9 22:27:39 CEST 2008

	Hello Michael,

> I ended up using a GNU version of tar and the installation proceeded
> "without a hitch" (with something like env $PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
> ./install-tl ...).

  Actually, my message was rather directed to the TeX Live team, in
order to find a definitive fix for this particular problem.  Of course,
in your case, since you have GNU tar installed, and you know how to use
it, you're better off using it directly.

  I've been compiling many programs on Solaris myself, and contributed
patches to makefiles and source files, and as a rule, I tried to use the
Solaris tools, but very often, it is really simpler to use the GNU
version of every program (at some point last year, I had to use two
different shells consecutively during the XeTeX build; I don't know how
Jonathan fixed the problem in the end).

	Arthur