[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Michael E. Thomadakis miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:05:04 CEST 2008

Hi Arthur,

I ended up using a GNU version of tar and the installation proceeded
"without a hitch" (with something like env $PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
./install-tl ...).

I've been using TL2008 and so far everything looks good....

Thanks for the reply,

Michael

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

| Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:28:05 +0200
| From: Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>
| To: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
| Cc: miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu, tex-live at tug.org
| Subject: Re: [tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for
|      Solaris10 x86
|
| >     tar: /dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory
| >
| > This message tells me that although we attempted to make all our tar
| > invocations work with vendor tars, apparently we failed on your
| > i386-solaris system.
|
|   If I'm not mistaken, /dev/rmt is the device name for the tape drives
| on Solaris, and the default input / output location for Solaris tar
| (Tape ARchive).  Maybe there is some switch to work around that, and we
| don't need to expect "tar" to behave like GNU tar.
|
|   On the other hand, Solaris comes with quite a lot of GNU software
| nowadays (/usr/sfw contains free programs compiled by SunFreeWare); it's
| probably safe to assume that if there is a "gtar" in the PATH, it's GNU
| tar, and to use that one instead of "tar".
|
| 	Arthur

% Michael E. Thomadakis, Ph.D.        Senior Lead Systems Engineer/Res \
% E-mail: miket AT sc.tamu.edu                    Texas A&M University \
%         miket AT tamu.edu                      Supercomputing Center \
% Voice:  979-862-3931                    Teague Research Center, 104B \
% FAX:    979-847-8643                       College Station, TX 77843 \