[tex-live] Source files required after install / scheme-tetex accurate?

Markus Kohm markus.kohm at gmx.de
Wed Oct 8 14:58:54 CEST 2008

> I have been asked if files such as .ins files (which I assume are
> sourcefiles in tlpdb terms) are required in my tex live packages. Can
> I omit all sourcefiles?

If you distribute packages: A lot of files may not be distributed without
their sources, e.g:

from book.cls:

  %% This file may only be distributed together with a copy of the LaTeX
  %% base system. You may however distribute the LaTeX base system without
  %% such generated files.
  %%
  %% The list of all files belonging to the LaTeX base distribution is
  %% given in the file `manifest.txt'. See also `legal.txt' for additional
  %% information.

from manifest.txt:

classes.ins

So book.cls may only be distributed together with e.g. classes.ins.

Note: IMO installation in a multi user environment is a kind of distribution.

If you do not distribute anything: you may omit all source files. Nevertheless
some source files may contain additional information, e.g. examples or
implementation documentation, that may be usefull in some cases.

Markus