[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 12:12:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:15:28AM +0200, Morten Høgholm wrote:
>> A producer would usually like to control its sales channels which in
>> this particular case is where users can download the software. Does
>> one want a very useful and free piece of software like TeXlive to be
>> associated with software piracy (just the name of the website for
>> crying out loud!) and "instant sexual charisma" as the advert said
>> when I just visited the torrent? I can understand if one doesn't.
>
> Does one wants to have a free piece of software like TeXlive to be
> associated with censorship?

I do not think being selective about distribution channels equals
censorship. You are of course entitled to that point of view, if that
is indeed your point of view.

I just want TeXlive to be taken seriously, not only by users but also
by the businesses some try to provide TeX-based solutions for. The
associations as I listed above in the example does not reflect
positively on the image of TeXlive.

>> If you look at the business world, some high-end suppliers of home
>> entertainment refuse to sell their products in hypermarkets because it
>> will associate their products with what they believe to be inferior
>> products and buyers will be less likely to pay the extra premium for
>> the high-end product. Brand value and image as we would say in the
>> media business.
>
> But texlive isn't sold (at least when distributed as a torrent), so this
> doesn't really apply. Moreover I can't see the evidence you base
> yourself when implying (with an analogy) that downloaders will be less
> likely to download texlive in such context. If you have no such
> evidence, it seems to me that this is censorship and not a media plan.

I gave an example of image and brand value. Even if the product isn't
sold through this channel, it does not mean there is no brand value.
Take Open Office and the way they distribute their office suite,
including torrent distribution. They are concerned about brand value
and being taken serious.

--
Morten