[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 7 10:53:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 10:40:56AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> > If the advertisement restrict the userbase for a legal reason, then it
> > make sense to change advertisements, but otherwise I see no reason for
> > discrimination, since free software is also based on
> > non-discrimination among uses.
>
> You are confused.  Free software gives you the freedom to use it in any
> way you want.  Advertisements don't give you the freedom not to see them
> in the first place.  They are designed to convey their message in 5
> seconds, and the first 2 of them you can hardly avoid.
>
> If I don't like advertisements in my free software, I can remove them,
> once and for all.  If I don't like advertisements in my software
> tracker, tough.

I agree that it would be better to avoid advertisements, for the reason
you state above, but if there are some, I can't see the reason to
discriminate against different advertisements. Of course the TeXlive team
may want to, but I can't see on what grounds, except on moral and then
it is censorship (something that the TeXlive team may want to do, but it
is not obvious).

--
Pat