[tex-live] tlmgr testing

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:57:13 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> tlmgr should check that all the packages in the updated collection-science
>> are installed.  It would be nice if that can be done automatically whenever
>> a collection is updated.
>
> Compare on the release

Not sure what you mean.  I get:

Using the version of tlmgr from the tlcritical test (e.g., the
latest), update --all
did not install gene-logic, so I'm left with:

$ tlmgr check collections
Packages listed in collections but not present:
	gene-logic (collection-science)

> coxeter:texlive80%tlmgr --location=http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr: missing action; try
> --help if you need it.
> coxeter:texlive81%tlmgr
> --location=http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008 update --all
> /var/tmp/texlive.tlpdb.lzma: Permission denied
> update: collection-science (first remove old, then install new)
> remove: collection-science
> install: collection-science
> install: gene-logic
> update: collection-science done
> grnumalt cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> guitbeamer cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> update: logic (first remove old, then install new)
> remove: logic
> install: logic
> update: logic done
> newalg cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> newthm cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> oca cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> update: pax (first remove old, then install new)
> remove: pax
> remove: pax.x86_64-linux
> install: pax
> install: pax.x86_64-linux
> update: pax done
>
> (No removal but installation)
>>

>> Where I work we also have "private" packages that need to end up in
>> texmf-local.   Some of the issues Victor has encountered can be
>> avoided by using tlmgr only to maintain a "master" texlive.  Once all
>> is working and any private packages have been added manually, this
>> can be rsynced (during off hours) to the version used by others on
>> shared systems.
>
> tlmgr does not touch texmf-local. I noticed that our ut-thesis (Univ
> of Toronto Thesis) class not in TL. I asked to put it in and (thanks
> to H.Voss and R.Fairbanks) it is in CTAN more orderly and hopefully it
> will come to TL soon. Thus I believe that the best policy would be to
> push on TL (provided there are no problems) leaving to private
> management only packages which cannot be on TL

If you made a .tar.lzma package with texm-local/... what will happen?
One issue is whether you want a completely parallel structure, e.g.
a tlmgr-local that keeps a separate database, say
tlpkg/texlive-local.tlpdb

tlmgr already supports subset repositories as with tlcritical, so if
you can live with a single texlive.tlpdb, you just have the problem
that the local packages will not be in the main repositories so will
be flagged as "removed".  You could work around that by using a
local mirror of the repository, merging a local tlpdb with the
master version, and adding your packages.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia