[tex-live] tlmgr testing

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:06:22 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 7:53 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> tlmgr should check that all the packages in the updated collection-science
> are installed.  It would be nice if that can be done automatically whenever
> a collection is updated.

Compare on the release

coxeter:texlive80%tlmgr --location=http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr: missing action; try
--help if you need it.
coxeter:texlive81%tlmgr
--location=http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008 update --all
/var/tmp/texlive.tlpdb.lzma: Permission denied
update: collection-science (first remove old, then install new)
remove: collection-science
install: collection-science
install: gene-logic
update: collection-science done
grnumalt cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
guitbeamer cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
update: logic (first remove old, then install new)
remove: logic
install: logic
update: logic done
newalg cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
newthm cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
oca cannot be found in http://ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
update: pax (first remove old, then install new)
remove: pax
remove: pax.x86_64-linux
install: pax
install: pax.x86_64-linux
update: pax done

(No removal but installation)

> Where I work we also have "private" packages that need to end up in
> texmf-local.   Some of the issues Victor has encountered can be
> avoided by using tlmgr only to maintain a "master" texlive.  Once all
> is working and any private packages have been added manually, this
> can be rsynced (during off hours) to the version used by others on
> shared systems.

tlmgr does not touch texmf-local. I noticed that our ut-thesis (Univ
of Toronto Thesis) class not in TL. I asked to put it in and (thanks
to H.Voss and R.Fairbanks) it is in CTAN more orderly and hopefully it
will come to TL soon. Thus I believe that the best policy would be to
push on TL (provided there are no problems) leaving to private
management only packages which cannot be on TL

> There are, however, those with personal
> systems who want to manage packages themselves, but still need
> texmf-local bits, and some of those bits belong to scientific organizations
> with users scattered around the globe, so I'm also hoping for a way to
> manage private packages with tlmgr.

Victor