[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?]

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:55:17 CEST 2008

2008/10/1 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> SFX facility for ZIP files comes from an old PKZIP. Although it was
>> not OpenSource, the description of the ZIP format was available. Thus
>> WinZip knows where the important headers are and can skip the SFX
>> code. I am not sure whether other implementations, e.g. InfoZip, can
>> cope with SFX files. The same holds for SFX's created by 7-zip. I do
>> not know whether their format is documented so that other programs
>> could skip the SFX code. It could be tested on a small sample file.
>
> OK, but would one need "other programs" ?  As 7-Zip is
> open source, and has already been ported to Unix/Linux [1],
> could it not be distributed as the general unpacker for
> the (putative) texliveyyyy.lzma.exe ?

I managed to compile 7za on CentOS 5 on x86_64. I have not tested it
yet, I have only tried that the help screen appears. the problem is
that it does not use the standard GNU infrastructure: configure - make
- make install, thus incorporation of 7z will not be that
straightforward.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/