[tex-live] Weird auto-select of mirrors

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 09:22:25 CET 2008

Hi,

Almost since the beginning tlmgr had chosen as a mirror for my updates

http://tezcatl.fciencias.unam.mx/

which makes sense, since it's the closest to my location (Mexico
City); CTAN chooses the same mirror as well. But in the last couple of
days, the mirror selection has been totally random; for example,
trying a dry-run from terminal I get right now

http://mirror.unl.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

and with tlmgr -gui I'm getting

http://ctan.troutlilysoftware.com/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

And for viewing Voss' Mathmode.pdf in my browser CTAN has chosen

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/CTAN

and for the actual download of mathmode.zip it did it from

http://ftp.math.purdue.edu...

I have checked tezcatl.fciencias.unam.mx and it is active, and up to
date: when Victor Ivrii announced to the TeX on Mac OS mailing list
that TL and CTAN already had pdftricks 1.16, I did a dry-run and the
mirror tlmgr chose didn't show it, but I checked in tezcatl and it
already had it.

Best,

Axel