[tex-live] xdvi and X11R7.4 (cygwin)

Ken Brown kbrown at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 23 15:33:02 CET 2008

Hi Stefan,

On 11/22/2008 2:23 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/22/2008 9:40 AM, Stefan Ulrich wrote:
>> As for the libtool/autoconf being old, as mentioned in this reply:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-11/msg00119.html
>>
>> - the current version uses the same libtool setup as the rest of
>> TeXLive, changing it would be quite hard, but of course it could
>> be related to this problem.
>
> Would it be hard to change it if I just wanted to build xdvik?  I
> tried downloading the source for xdvik and building it.  It builds
> OOTB, but the resulting xdvi-xaw segfaults as before.  I then tried
> autoreconf --force, but this yielded syntax errors when I subsequently
> ran 'make'.  So clearly a naive approach to changing the libtool setup
> won't work.  If you think this is worth pursuing in order to narrow
> down the problem, and if you can give me instructions on how to
> "re-libtool" the xdvik source, I'll try it.  Otherwise I'm ready to
> give up.

Here's one more data point in case it tells you anything:  I built
plain-old xdvi (as opposed to xdvik), and it runs without a problem.
Since xdvik is based on xdvi-22.84, I tested both it and xdvi-22.85, and
they both work fine.  So whatever the problem is, the extra
complications in xdvik are required in order to trigger it.

Best regards,

Ken