[tex-live] strange problem with `xdvi' and `0' key

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:41:07 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> [xdvik version 22.84.14 (Xaw toolkit)
>  Libraries: kpathsea version 3.5.7, T1lib version 5.0.1;
>  this is TeXLive rev. 11284, running on a GNU/Linux box]
>
> I currently encounter a very strange problem.  Having a DVI like
> codepage.dvi (from TeXLive), which has more than 10 pages, I type
>
>  5 g
>
> to navigate to the page 5.  However
>
>  10 g
>
> brings me to page 1 instead page 10.  In fact, the `0' key is
> apparently ignored within a page number for the `g' command.  Only
>
>  0 g
>
> works; it brings me to the last page of the document (which is a good
> idea but not documented in the man page[1]).
>
> Any ideas?  It smells like a bug...

I've seen this before, so there may be a fix out there somewhere.
Xdvi from Ubuntu's texlive 2007 does not have the bug.

"10 g" Works:
gwhite at cerberus:~$ /usr/bin/xdvi --version
xdvik version 22.84.10 (Xaw toolkit)
Libraries: kpathsea version 3.5.6, T1lib version 5.0.1

"10 g" Fails:
gwhite at cerberus:~$ /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/i386-linux/xdvi --version
xdvik version 22.84.14 (Xaw toolkit)
Libraries: kpathsea version 3.5.7, T1lib version 5.0.1

A quick scan of the CHANGES file wasn't helpful.  events.c has some debugging
code commented out in check_goto_page and check_goto_tex_page that might
be helpful.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia