[tex-live] tlmgr update cannot work on Ubuntu

GAOFengnan fnsteed at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 05:52:58 CET 2008

Hi all,

I installed Ubuntu last week, and I installed texlive 08 from the net. Now I face some problem, my tlmgr cannot update. When I type this
        tlmgr update -all
in my terminal, the terminal returns a output
        tlmgr: installation location ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/031/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
then it stops there, no output and no ending the job. I'm confused, why tlmgr cannot work on Linux but it works very well on Windows. Can someone help me?

Fengnan Gao  <fnsteed at hotmail.com>