[tex-live] tlmgr failure

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Nov 19 23:11:51 CET 2008

I do not subscribe to the texlive list but I do read it regularly.
The subject line refers to the recent error messages from tlmgr
when attempting to update:
     Use of uninitialized value in split at
     /usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 961.

This also happens to me on WinXP.

There seems to be  a problem with downloading texlive.tlpdb.lzma
from CTAN.

If I obtain that file using an ftp program, its size is
   555713 bytes.

If I retrieve it using wget, wget reports its size
as
   2679 bytes
and only retrieves that many bytes.

If I obtain it via Firefox browser, its size is
   2679 bytes.

It must be the server is at fault. I have tried this with
wget version 1.11.4 (from GnuWin32 project) as well as version
1.10.2 (supplied with TeX Live 2008), with the same results.

The location I gave wget
wasftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/

With Firefox I obtained the file from
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes