[tex-live] xindy now in build

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 25 12:38:05 CET 2008

On 25 Mar 2008, at 12:20 am, Karl Berry wrote:

> Thanks to a lot of hard work by Vladimir, the xindy program
> (http://xindy.org, http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/indexing/xindy/), a
> modern alternative to makeindex, is now included in TeX Live.
>
> For those building TL, this means you now need to install GNU clisp
> and GNU libffcall.  Or else configure --without-xindy.

I tried building ffcall-1.10 but "make check" terminates with an
"Illegal instruction" while working in trampoline_r, which doesn't
inspire confidence. This was on i686-apple-darwin, which is not
listed in the supported platforms -- not surprising, as it didn't
exist when ffcall was released. (It does complete without error on
powerpc-apple-darwin.)

Anyone know the status of ffcall? From what I can find online, it
doesn't look as though this is being actively maintained. Suggestions?

JK