[tex-live] Building texlive 2007 on FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64

Randy Au agilis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 22:27:59 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Michael Krauss <mickraus at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Good news, trunk has been build successfully.
>  How can I "install" texlive now?
>

>  On 14/03/08, Randy Au wrote:
>
> > Copied the binaries into Master/bin and used xelatex to build a file.
>
>  I have done this, but running any program like pdflatex or texexec
>  stops because it can't find format file or texmfstart:

>  Is there any documentation on the web how to install texlive from
>  source? The README file in Build/source ends with the build procedure.
>
>  I just want to install texlive in one directory, setting some TEX*
>  variables, adjust PATH and that's it. It don't need to be available
>  system wide, the old tetex comes along with FreeBSD ports for programs
>  that need TeX.

Oh, right, I had to set some environment variables to get things working.

TEXMF="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/"
TEXMFCNF="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/texmf/web2c"
PATH="/home/agilis/texlive-branch/branch2007/Master/bin/x86_64-freebsd8:...."

I admit I'm not sure exactly how the variables relate to each other
since I never managed to wrap my brain around the tex file heirarchy
and all the path searching knobs.

I looked at the texlive documentation on kpathsea/web2c/environment
variables and hit the problem with a big hammer until kpathsea looked
happy, so I might've set them oddly, but for now it works.

RA