[tex-live] share sub-directory

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Mar 11 17:23:30 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 07:53:13PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> No.  I said, *in TeX Live itself*.  I repeat: the texmf.cnf generated
> by make in the source tree is not used *in TeX Live itself*.

Indeed, you are right. But the values used in texmf.cnf are the same
than the one used in paths.h and therefore the same than the kpathsea
compiled in defaults. That is where there is a relationship.

> Any suggestions on how/where I can make it clearer?  To repeat, the only
> relationship is that I manually make changes to both files to try to
> keep them as in sync as much I can, as far as the actual values go.

I may be missing something , but these values are also used in paths.h?

> I agree.  I never said otherwise.  All I said was that it seemed to me
> the process was operating in the usual and expected way, and there was

Sure.

> no bug to fix regarding the "extra" /share.
>
>     +  sysconfdir=$(sysconfdir) localstatedir=$(localstatedir) \
>     +  libexecdir=$(libexecdir) \
> Accepted.
>
>     +# modifiable single-machine data.
>     +localstatedir = @localstatedir@
> Accepted.
>
>     -vartexfonts = /var/tmp/texfonts
>     +vartexfonts = $(localstatedir)/cache/fonts
>
> Using $(localstatedir) makes sense, and if all the distros need the same
> thing, I'll change it to anything you guys want.  Otherwise, I'm not
> sure what to do.
>
> Ditto the changes you are making in texmf.cnf.

You should just change nothing. It is up to us to do some changes to fit
with our platform. That's why I made 2 patches. One that you can apply
to make our live easier, and another you should not apply because it is
fedora specific. I think that we cannot avaoid to do
distribution/platform specific stuff in texlive packaging given the
complexity, the history and the number of platform supported.

--
Pat