[tex-live] TeXlive-doc needed, please help

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:23:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Glenn Todd Miller
<gmiller at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi
> I am a long time LaTeX user that has recently installed Fedora 9 linux,
> which includes the TeX-Live distribution.  It looks fantastic, many many
> more packages than tetex.  However, Fedora does not come with the
> documentation under texmf*/doc !!!!  I really need at least the PDFs and
> HTMLs in those subdirectories but I am unable to use the
> texlive-doc-2007-30.fc9.i386.rpm due to all these dependencies-- I
> really just need the PDFs at least.  Is there anyway I can get or ftp
> your documentation that is on your website at:
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/doc.html
> That is exactly what I need but downloading each one from your website
> would be very tedious.
> Thanks for any help, and thanks for a great distribution!

What dependencies?  Some of the docs are in .dvi format, so need
xdvi or dvips and fonts to be used.   There has been discussion
recently about using .pdf for everything, but it is not always easy to
convert .dvi to pdf, so you are probably stuck with the dependencies.

TeX Live 2008 is currently in testing, but there may be some delays
before Fedora packages appear.  On my F8 systems I have a minimal
texlive from the Fedora packages (because some pckages have
dependencies on texlive) and a full TL test with the docs for my own
documents.

Another option is using MiKTeX's package manager to
maintain a texmf tree with documents and updates.  You can either
compile mpm from sources or run it under wine.  If you collaborate
with WIndows users it is often useful to have access to the same
versions of macro packages, if only to increase chances that
your docs will compile on MiKTeX.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia