[tex-live] texlivetest2008 comments

Richard David Sherman rdsherman at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 30 04:08:27 CEST 2008

Downloaded the texlivetest2008.iso.lzma, decompressed it, modified my
bash build script for the new menu scheme, and built a Slackware package.

Could not find any 'AddPackage' utility, so just copied the extras
needed, oberdiek and revtex, to the build directory. (What happened
to that feature?)

Everything works fine plus the new package is 1/2 the size of 2007.
(Must have had a lot of unncessary cruft before.)

Installed minimal scheme plus basic latex. Result is a 12 MB tl.tgz
file. No complaints.

However, I am using a little over 1% of the texlive distro, so why
pull down the full shebang? I then spent lots of time with the online
installer. Total failure!

On each attempt to download the 92 essential packages after some
random number, but, never all, the executable, install-tl, would
quit indicating a failure to install that file package. I do not
know perl so I can not go further to help.

I wrote a custom $HOME/.wgetrc, actually several versions, but the
perl script never saw it. I think it's a wget issue, but, I can not
track it down.

Last year I sent an email hoping you would provide a xdvik-motif
binary as an option to the ugly xaw version. Do you want my custom
build? It is actually a lesstif build, but, it works great and
looks heaps better than xaw.

Richard David Sherman (TUG member)
rdsherman at roadrunner.com
2008 June 29