[tex-live] luatex defaults to dvi mode

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 00:55:51 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:54 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
> karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:
>
>>       I think Karl's intention was to have luatex produce DVI by default and
>>     three symbolic links to it, with pdfluatex loading the plain format and
>>     producing PDF,
>>
>> Right.  By analogy with tex/pdftex and latex/pdflatex.  However, if the
>> LuaTeX crew prefers something like luatex/dviluatex, I won't insist,
>> though I think the latter would be surprising to many people.
>>
>> We won't ever be able to change it again, so now is the time ...
>
> I'd vote against it.  At least AUCTeX (and presumably other TeX shells)
> will prepend "pdf" to commands intended to produce PDF.

Like pdfomega (pdflambda) and pdfXeTeX (pdfXeLaTeX) you mean? :P

Mojca

PS: sorry, only a provocation. DVI mode is probably problematic in
LuaTeX as soon as one wants to use any reasonable fonts (it might even
make sense to load OTF LM fonts by default for example), but I agree
that luatex might be interesting for the sake of lua alone.