[tex-live] luatex defaults to dvi mode

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 29 18:54:25 CEST 2008

      I think Karl's intention was to have luatex produce DVI by default and
    three symbolic links to it, with pdfluatex loading the plain format and
    producing PDF,

Right.  By analogy with tex/pdftex and latex/pdflatex.  However, if the
LuaTeX crew prefers something like luatex/dviluatex, I won't insist,
though I think the latter would be surprising to many people.

We won't ever be able to change it again, so now is the time ...

    lualatex loading the LaTeX format and producing DVI, and
    pdflualatex loading the LaTeX format and producing PDF.

Yeah.  Gotta check if the hyphenation stuff works now that hyph-utf8 is
there ...

thanks,