[tex-live] Bugs in install-tl for win32

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Jun 28 14:40:05 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:56:28PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Dan, hi all,
>
> Several points here:
> - TeX Live cannot ship gsview, it is non-free
> - psv is definitely more advanced than gsview (and much faster)
> - it is right that psv should NOT overwrite already existing
>   file associations
>
> Siep: Is it possible to change the code in TLWinGoo so that
> - (add) if there is already an association just leave it untouched
> - (remove) if there is a file association with a different program
>   leave it untouched

Yes. I already suggested making the psv file association an install
option, but this should be simpler.

> > - There is a second serious bug: Uninstalling TeXLive did not undo
> >   those registry changes. I took me quite some effort to determine
> >   how to change them back.
>
> I guess you meant that it didn'r re-associate gsview with ps files. THat
> is true. But it should have removed the association of psv with
> postscript files?
>
> Siep: Does the remove routine remove also the *definition* of postscript
> files (so the association of .ps with PostScript Files)? That we
> shouldn't remove at all.

We can leave that in place. I am a bit fuzzy about what
gsview does. I seem to remember having seen both PostScript and
psfile.

And I have to decide what to do with user settings vs. system
settings; always a headache.

> So I am sorry for the current status. The problems with the mirror is
> something painful, and I don't know what to do against it. Rewriting the
> installer that the installation can be resumed is not possible for this
> year, definitely. All my tests with win32 running in a virtual machine
> and downloading over the virtual network worked without any problems.
> And my test installation viw mirror.ctan.org, too. So it seems that you
> have some rather crappy mirrors around you.

OTOH, this kind of stuff is why we need real testers.

--
Siep Kroonenberg