[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sat Jun 28 14:10:35 CEST 2008

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> No, the following texmf.cnf files are read (in this order) if they exist:
>
> (1)  /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/x86_64-linux/texmf.cnf
> (2)  /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/texmf.cnf
> (3)  /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf.cnf
> (4)  /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Where is that defined?  From what I read in pathsearch.c, it seems
texmf.cnf is found in even more places:

/* The very first search is for texmf.cnf, called when someone tries to
   initialize the TFM path or whatever.  init_path calls kpse_cnf_get
   which calls kpse_all_path_search to find all the texmf.cnf's.  We
   need to do various special things in this case, since we obviously
   don't yet have the configuration files when we're searching for the
   configuration files.  */

and in pathsearch.h:

/* Like `kpse_path_search' with MUST_EXIST true, but always return all
   matches in a NULL-terminated list.  */
extern KPSEDLL string *kpse_all_path_search
  P2H(const_string path, const_string name);

So why isn't texmf.cnf found in any TEXMF tree?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)