[tex-live] Bugs in install-tl for win32

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Jun 28 11:40:28 CEST 2008

Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

 > And well, the warnings are harmless, as win32 doesn't understand symbolic
 > links, so tar unpacks all such links as regular files.

With respect, they are not "harmless" : /all/ warnings
worry the intelligent user, and many less intelligent
users as well.  Warning messages /should not be issued/
unless there is something requiring user attention.

 > Sure, but TL cannot provide gsview as it is not free software, so we
 > decided to put much faster psview. Making the default association for
 > opening .ps files is always matter of disscusion. Anyway, I'm going to
 > update psview this weekend (finally added help in English and much more).

I want to second Dan's perspective here; (a) the installation
should not change default associations, and (b) if it does (!),
it /must/ seek the user's permission before so doing.

** Phil.