[tex-live] Question concerning kurier in texlive-fonts-extra

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Fri Jun 27 20:20:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:

> we (on Debian) got a completely valid question:
>
> On Do, 26 Jun 2008, Elmar Teufl wrote:
> > The kurier-fonts and the latex-style was included in texlive-2005, but
> > it is not anymore. What is the reason?
>
> The kurier fonts have actually bin in 2005, and also in the current svn
> repo I can find them. I searched a bit through the logs but couldn't
> find anything specific.
>
> Can anyone remember why/what?

That's me, who removed Kurier from TL2005 because of lack of space on CD.
In fact, Kurier is identical to Iwona font, and only shows (for font's
fans) how the original was made, eg. it contains "ink traps":
  Kurier was intended for linotype typesetting of newspapers and similar
  periodicals. The design goals included resistance to technological
  processes destructive to the letter shapes. As a result, amongst others,
  the typeface distinguishes itself through intra- and extra-letter white
  spaces as well as ink traps at cross-sections of some elements
  constituting the characters.

For TL2008 it was reverted, anyway.

Best,
--