[tex-live] Bugs in install-tl for win32

Daniel Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Jun 27 00:00:33 CEST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:57 pm
Subject: Re: [tex-live] Bugs in install-tl for win32
To: Dan Luecking <luecking at uark.edu>
Cc: texlive at tug.org

> Hi Dan,
>
> please stay on list, not only I can help ...
>
> On Mi, 25 Jun 2008, Dan Luecking wrote:
> > I then tried after removing perl, lzma, tar, wget and TeXLive2007
> > from my path:
> >
> > This time the process was amazingly slow. About 25 minutes to
> > complete. I am still seeing: "tar : File not found in archive".
>
> That sounds already quite interesing. Could it be that your tar
> does not
> support some options? Can you send me the output of tar --help and tar
> --version?

You misunderstand. There was no difference in the outcome whether I left my
tar in PATH or removed it.  These messages occured whenever I used install-tl
without an -url option. My guess is install-ltl always manages to use the supplied
tar.

Still, problems with previously installed versions of software in windows can be
minimized in two ways:
 1. When PATH is modified, put the new directory(ies) on the *front*. This
    is already violated by install-tl.bat
 2. When possible, call programs by explicit path. (However, one cannot be sure in
    that case what happens if those programs call further programs.)

Regards,
Dan

Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas