[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jun 26 21:29:37 CEST 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes:
 > >> But of course some things must be moved out of texmf.cnf, like
 > >> rm_command, since as Reinhard obeserved those are
 > >> system-specific.
 > >
 > Oh, but another observation of Reinhard gives us a possible
 > solution: there are platform-specific texmf.cnf's too...

They should be handled with care.  The more texmf.cnf files you have,
the more difficult it is to keep an overview and to fix problems.
TeX Live will not put any texmf.cnf files into the platform dirs for
this reason.

I also recommend system administrators to think twice before making
use of this feature.  It's generally never a good idea to spread
config files over the whole system.  But it's a nice feature if you
have no other choice.

BTW, I also wouldn't make the variable rm_command configurable.  We
can rely on the luatex function os.type() here.  Frank, I suppose that
you made it configurable because you had been unsure whether your
platform detection code is reliable enough when you wrote texdoc a
year ago.  But meanwhile Taco added the functions os.type() and
os.name() to texlua which make things easier and more reliable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25