[tex-live] dvi2tty nonfree

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 20:36:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Robin Fairbairns
<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
>> On Do, 26 Jun 2008, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> > by looking at the copy on ctan (v4. something).
>>
>> Ahhh. That could be true.
>>
>> > what's debian's upstream?  or is it a debian-only package?
>>
>> From Debian's copyright file
>> (http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/d/dvi2tty/dvi2tty_5.3.1-4/dvi2tty.copyright)
>>
>> It was downloaded from
>> http://www.mesa.nl/pub/dvi2tty/dvi2tty-5.3.1.tar.gz
>>
>> Upstream Author(s): many, including Marcel J.E. Mol <marcel at mesa.nl>
>>
>> Copyright:
>>  GNU General Public License.
>
> sigh.
>
> we tend not to put things on ctan unless the author's asked us to.
>
> can tex live use the stuff on a random web site as upstream?

Better stick to stuff that can be found on CTAN -- people are used
to looking there for newer versions, etc., and there is sort of
understanding that things you use from TeX Live should be
available for as long as you might want them (that is, until the
book is finished).  Random web sites aren't expected to stick
around that long.

Of course, now that dvi2tty has been in TL2007, anyone who uses
it will expect it to appear in TL2008.  When you are going to
break people's expectations, it is generally better to do it
sooner rather than later, as there is more time to repair the
damage.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia