[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Jun 26 02:37:26 CEST 2008

Frank Küster scripsit (25.06.2008 21:00)
> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... really?  Unless I missed something, kpse takes its values from all
>> texmf.cnf files (which can be user-specific in TEXMFCONFIG), and also from
>> environment variables, so on the contrary this is user-specific if the user
>> wants to.
>
> Does it?

Ok, not exactly as Reinhard said: it reads all texmf.cnf's that it can find
using its compile-time defaults, or the $TEXMFCNF variable if set, but setting
is variable is bad.

>> Is it that good to take things out of texmf.cnf?  A very handy thing with
>> kpathsea is that it takes care for us of precedence when variables are set in
>> multiple config file or environment variables.
>>
>> But of course some things must be moved out of texmf.cnf, like rm_command,
>> since as Reinhard obeserved those are system-specific.

Oh, but another observation of Reinhard gives us a possible solution: there
are platform-specific texmf.cnf's too...

> I don't know whether it is a good idea to have parts of texdoc's
> configuration in texmf.cnf (except the definition of the doc paths,
> which are also used by other applications), and parts elsewhere.

No, you're right, it's a bad idea. Better stick to one solution or the other.
And since there is non user-specific texmf.cnf, probably a texdoc.cnf file is
better.

Regards,
Manuel.