[tex-live] Bugs in install-tl for win32

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Jun 25 20:27:40 CEST 2008

At 05:06 AM 6/25/2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
>On Mi, 25 Jun 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Well, I will try it myself on my windows virtual machine.
>
>Hmm, I cannot reproduce that. Got the current install-tl.zip, unpack,
>start install-tl.bat, select scheme-basic, c:/TL2008, letter, all other
>options toggled off. Install worked fine, generation of updmap, too. No
>complains.
>
>Strange.
>
>I can only assume that CTAN was in the mirroring process when that
>happened, so that problems did occur.
>
>Can you retry?

Ok, I will.

But here are some questions. Given that I see messages from tar
between messages that say some package is being installed, I assume
the script calls wget and then lzma and then tar for each archive.

1. Does wget cache the url provided by mirror.ctan.org and reuse it with
each download, or does it use literally mirror.ctan.org each time
(possibly accessing different mirrors)?

2. The install-tl set-up provides perl, wget and lzma. I have all three
of those installed on my system as well as TeXLive 2007. Could any
of those accidentally get invoked instead of the provided ones? If so,
I could disable them temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

3. I really think the log of the session should include error messages
if possible. It should also contain the mirror actually chosen, if you
want a report on misbehaving mirrors. Is any of that possible?

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descarte