[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Jun 24 21:48:27 CEST 2008

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes:
>
>  > At the moment, there's no way for the user to configure things,

Excuse me, what about

texdoc_formats = set_listvar_from_texmf(texdoc_formats,'TEXDOC_FORMATS')
for format in list_iter(texdoc_formats) do
   viewer_var = 'TEXDOC_VIEWER_' .. string.upper(format)
   texdoc_viewer[format] = set_var_from_texmf(texdoc_viewer[format],viewer_var)
end

I admit that this is not *user* specific, but at least Jonathan's
concern can easily be addressed by the local admin this way. Moreover,
on many systems there are generic commands for viewing a file, IIRC
there's even one for OSX - and then usually the individual user can
change the preferences on the OS level, not only for TeX.

> I'm currently working on a generic config file parser.  It's supposed
> to read a config file and put the key/value pairs into a Lua table.

It would of course be good to have something like this, and take out all
this from texmf.cnf. But for TeXLive 2008, shouldn't we stick to what we
have?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster