[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 12:39:19 CEST 2008

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:05:54AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >
> >> PDF are standalone.  In my ideal world, CTAN would carry PDF, and an
> >> installed TeXlive would carry everything that can be represented by DVI
> >> in DVI: TeXlive documentation does not need to be standalone.  The fonts
> >> and stuff for viewing are there.
> >
> > DVI is quite impractical: each dvi driver supports its own set
> > of \special commands. I don't know a program that inspects
> > the specials in the DVI file and can say, that the DVI file
> > doesn't use specials
>
> dvitype+grep
>
> Anyway, that's what "can be represented by DVI" was supposed to mean.
> Most .dtx files will compile to special-free DVI.

but a tiresomely large proportion rely on fonts that are "unusual".

i can (usually[*]) cope with this, but i wouldn't expect the average
user to...

[*] there are fonts that just don't compile at all, notably those by
alan stanier.  i now have his permission to deal with these, but have
only managed one so far...