[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 23 11:25:12 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:05:54AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> PDF are standalone.  In my ideal world, CTAN would carry PDF, and an
> installed TeXlive would carry everything that can be represented by DVI
> in DVI: TeXlive documentation does not need to be standalone.  The fonts
> and stuff for viewing are there.

DVI is quite impractical: each dvi driver supports its own set
of \special commands. I don't know a program that inspects
the specials in the DVI file and can say, that the DVI file
doesn't use specials, or it uses specials for dvips only, or
it uses specials understood by dvips and xdvi, ...
Also pages aren't independent anymore and can't reordered in general
if specials are used (color stack, ...).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>