[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jun 23 11:32:17 CEST 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> writes:

> You make the real point here.  TeX Live is not only for geeks and
> hackers, it's also for "normal" users, and those want to see pdf,
> because it's a standard, they already have a reader and are used to
> it.

No.  The normal users want to see texts and not worry about the format
it is in.  And if they have a viewer which is an order of magnitude
faster and integrates with their editor (source specials), they will
certainly prefer that.

> Dvi and ps look like strange formats to them and it's yet another
> barrier to enter the TeX world.  We should get rid of it.

The "user" does not look at "strange formats".  He clicks on files and
buttons.

> By the way, a similar choice has been made on CTAN, which favour pdf
> documentation.  Since we try not to process documentation ourselves,
> but rather use the version on CTAN, it's another point for pdf doc in
> TL.

CTAN is a different matter.  It is an archive, not a complete system.
Standalone files make sense there.

--
David Kastrup