[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Jun 23 03:11:59 CEST 2008

	Hello,

> I'm unfamiliar with the OS X world: is open supposed to always work

  open is pretty much equivalent to double-clicking on an icon or a file
name in a graphic environment, and is based on file extension -- very
similar to the way double-clicking works on Windows; for instance, HTML
files are "open"ed by default in Safari (unless the user configures it
otherwise), most "graphical" formats (PDF, JPEG, etc. -- even
PostScript) are dealt with by Apple Preview, etc.

>               And, just curious, is the user able to configure which actual
> program is used by open?

  Absolutely; for any file and file type you can configure how it should
be used, by choosing from a drop-down menu -- again, very similar to
what you get on Windows (on my Desktop, the only file I have is Martin's
pdfTeX presentation at BachoTeX which, had it been opened with Acrobat
Reader instead of Preview, would have given him much less trouble ;-)

  By the way, Jonathan, I noticed you used open for DVI files, but I
don't think it would really work for most people: users would have to
not only get the X server running, but also to make the association from
DVI files to xdvi (or some other DVI viewer program), which seems rather
unlikely to me; I have the impression xdvi would serve more users.  Of
course, it still means you need to have xdvi in your path and to launch
X11.app, but I feel you would get a better hit rate with the latter than
with open.

	Arthur