[tex-live] texdoc can't find texmf.cnf

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 22 20:17:40 CEST 2008

    Is it just me, or is there a problem with texdoc?

It's not just you.  Manuel has been investigating it and I've been
kibitzing.  Here is a summary of our beliefs so far ...

It is a system-dependent problem in the derivation of the SELFAUTO*
variables.  This is why it works for Reinhard on (I presume) *linux and
fails for you on (I presume) darwin.

The ultimate cause is apparently that glibc provides the
program_invocation_name variable (used in kpathsea/progname.c), other
systems don't, and our code to compute it doesn't come up with the same
result as glibc.

It's not specific to Lua, either.  The same problem exists for Perl
scripts.  It only comes up this year because we never had symbolic links
going through .. before.

I don't think SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT would help (yuck, anyway :), because
the scripts could be at a deeper level.  There's no way to know in advance.

We obviously have to fix it somehow, but I admit I'm not exactly sure
how just yet.  Perhaps the tweak to texmf.cnf/paths.h, but I think the
best answer would be to fix progname.c so SELFAUTO* continue to be
defined as intended ... and if you (or anyone) wants to delve into that,
please do :).

Thanks,
Karl